help me on localizing gnome2

Hi all,
   I used to build gnome2 with vicious-build-scripts, set
LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312 (I am a Chinese), cd /gnome/head/INSTALL/bin, and
run "startx ./gnome-session", and I can see Gnome2 menu text etc.
correctly displayed in Chinese, then I can test my translations.
   But today when I do this on a different machine, those menus and
applications still display English. But the date display on the top
right corner is in Chinese. I have tested other locales but won't do.
   I just don't know whether it's a bug so I ask here. anyone knows how
to deal this? btw, what's the "offical" way to start gnome2?