Re: Hindi Translation Team?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:
> > If you find some message where the translation should be the same as
> > the English original message, then always copy it into the msgstr,
> > don't leave the msgstr blank.
> > The reason is that if you leave msgstr's blank on purpose the
> > translation statistics will be misleading, and people other than you
> > might not know if the message was "untranslated" on purpose or not,
> > and hence don't know if it was a mistake or not.
>
>   I think same to be done with 'debug message strings' (which only go
> to stderr) also ?

I personally aim to translate everything that's included in the pot file.
Debug messages can be useful to translate too. If the debug messages
are included in the pot file and hence were explicitly marked for
translation, then probably the application author agrees to that too.

I personally think that debug messages should be translated because of the
following reasons:
* It is dangerous to assume that only inexperienced users who wouldn't
need the debug messages anyway are the ones who use translations. I know
several cases where this isn't true. Instead it can be useful to translate
so that experienced users who use translations can more easily help
themselves in the first place if they encounter an error.
* If untranslated debug messages are needed, for example when it is
supposed to go into a bug report or similar situation, then the
application can be designed so that it outputs both the original message
in English, *and* the translation.