Re: Do Apps Use a "Root" Locales?

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 18:49, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
    On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Daniel Yacob wrote:
    > I was surprised by words that remained in English, "File",
    > "Settings", "Help", etc.  Looking back thru ggv.po these
    > msgids just weren't there.  Do gtk apps use a "root"
    > locale of some sort for common terms?  If so what is
    > the name of it?

    I suppose those menu entries comes from libgnomeui. Anybody can confirm or deny?

You're right :-) The strings are commonly defined from there and
accessed from GnomeUI functions using programs. It could be libgnomeui
or it's equivalent successor on the GNOME 2.0 platform.

    > And while I'm asking questions...  Not that unix is want for more daemons
    > and servers but I got to wondering if a vocabulary server had ever been
    > attempted as a message catalog approach?
    > I'd like to read the findings of such an experiment.

Ok, in previous, very long ago times, we or morely myself tried to set
up a gtranslator daemon which handled the translation memory alike
implementation (it was CRAP, but well, it was the beginning of the
current UMTF functions in gtranslator); I wanted to do an OAF-back'd
server which could be contacted by various clients by the defined OAF
query format, but this died as of one year ago (or even more time ago)
due to no interest in this and no sources for making a fully server by
my side.

Nothing successful, but I would say, you should think about how you want
to implement this and I didn't really hear much about a
catalog/translations supporting server program yet, so it would fit into
this point of lack :-) Have a nice day...
--
<([ Fatih Demir / kabalak / kabalak@gtranslator.org ])>
<([ ICQ 64241161 / fdemir2@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de ])>