Arabic Keyboard in Gnome2

Hi there ..
  I am working with the Arabeyes team ( www.arabeyes.org) in the translation
of Gnome2 to Arabic language... and one of the things I have to insure is the
existence of the Arabic keyboard in Gnome 2 ..
  Today I compiled my first Gnome2 ever .. and it seems that the Arabic
keyboard is missing from it .. it is present in the xkb as the symbol "ar" ..
can you please tell me what is the needed steps to get Gnome2 have the Arabic
keyboard layout defined ?

  Note that the written Arabic is the same ( 100% the same) in 24+ countries
.. so adding a layout for every country will be more or less like aliasing ..
and I got the flags and locale for all the Arab countries as well .

I will be waiting for a reply from you .. hoping to be able to get the Arabic
keyboard layout with Gnome2, and I hope that it is not too late ( as the i18n
will not have a real meaning for the Arabs if there is no Arabic keyboard) ..

Thank you ..
--
Yours,
Isam Bayazidi