Re: Translation of modifier keys

Kaixo!

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 09:40:28PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:

> 	/* Translators: Translate this to the name of the 'Alt' key on
> 	   the keyboard layout of your locale. This is used when describing
> 	   shortcuts. */
> 	N_("Alt"),
>
> I think the problem of this string maybe not being unique enough is more
> severe. If it turns out that key names cannot be translated seperately
> in the po file because they are identical to other strings, then that
> has to be solved somehow. But unless this happens, I don't see a
> problem.

If it is to be used for shortcuts, it never happen alone, so why not
translating this instead: "Alt-%s" (and similarly for Ctrl, etc) ?
of course telling that the "%s" will be replaced by a key name (A,B,C,...etc)

While I'm at it; should punctuation symbols and the like be translated too?
should we have "Ctrl-," or "Ctrl-comma" ? maybe only the minus is a problem
here ("Ctrl--" is not very good notation).

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975