Re: Translating The GIMP

Hi,

Zbigniew Chyla <cyba@gnome.pl> writes:

> BTW, 9 months ago I sent you a patch implementing the Q_() macro to improve
> the GIMP translations. Have you made a decision about that (it looked like
> you finally accepted my proposal) or you have something better now?
>
> gimp-devel archives:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40scam.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg03592.html

nine month ago was a bad time for such a change. Now is a very good time.
Is the proposed addition of a Q_() macro as described in the URL above
still the preferred way to solve this problem? If so, I suggest you bring
up the point on the gimp developer list again, so more people have a
chance to discuss it. To me it looks like a workaround of a missing feature
in gettext, but if this feature is still missing, its probably a good
workaround. I haven't changed my mind that I'd prefer a solution that
gives every translator a chance to apply different translations for every
string without the need to change the original string. This would make it
possible to work around collisions without breaking the translation for
all other supported languages. I doubt however we can cleverly implement
such a feature at the application level.

Salut, Sven