Re: Translating The GIMP

On 2 Sep 2001, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Zbigniew Chyla <cyba@gnome.pl> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2001-08-30 at 12:19:02, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >
> > > I know some people will tell me I'm wrong, but for The GIMP part, I do
> > > expect every active translator to be subscribed to the GIMP developers
> > > list which is the place where such announcements do happen (apart from
> > > multiple places in the source tree such as the README). It's not that
> > > we happen to have an untolerable amount of traffic there.
> >
> > Are you kidding? Do you expect us to read *-devel list for every project we
> > make translations for? What is so special about the GIMP?
>
> I'm only encouraging you to do so. Just as I'm subscribed to this list
> even though I'm not a translator for the GTP, I'm also subscribed to about
> a dozen other lists that may someday have discussion that are GIMP related.
> I'm surprised how strongly some of you separate the development of an
> application and its translation. There are a lot of decisions an
> application developer has to make that are strongly i18n-related and it
> would be nice if at least some of the translators would read the mailing
> list so they can take part when such decisions are made. The special thing
> about GIMP is probably that we have a large amount of plug-ins and have
> to deal with handling lots of textdomains and translations in numerous
> packages. This is going to get worse as soon as we start to distribute more
> plug-ins separate from the core as it is our intention. I18n is one of the
> major problems we are going to face then.

I can see some "translator-rage" forming up against a developer. :)
Usually the developers are the ones that are difficult to handle..
What is said is that in GIMP there will be some needs for i18n decisions
to take place and that it would help for some hard core translators that also
know about development to join in.

If these hard core translators can join in the gimp dev mailling lists,
then ok.
Otherwise, there must be a compulsory cc: to gnome-i18n.
The non-technical-translator guild will dutifully accept the gimp e-mails.
:)

simos