Re: Translation memories

Duarte Loreto wrote:
> Anyway, I would also like to know how to merge 2 files. I'll explain why. I
> have gnome-core from the stable1.4 branch. It is slightly different from the
> gnome-core for the gnome2.0 branch.
>
> I already translated the 1.4 pot. I would like to merge it with the 2.0 pot
> so that I would only have to deal with the 2 or 3 different strings.
>
> Actually, I have this done for gnome-core (the person that does my check ins
> put the 1.4 in 2.0 by mistake). But for the other files, I would like to be
> able to do the same.
>
> I'll appreciate the info on this. Should I use msgmerge (any special
> parameters needed?) or should I merge in another way?

If you use cvs and have intltool installed it is really easy to re-use
your 1.4 translation for a new 2.0 translation of the same module.
Simply copy the pt.po file from your 1.4 po directory to the 2.0 po
directory, and run "intltool-update pt". Then it is refreshed to match
the 2.0 source, and you only have to translate the differences.

If you are not using cvs, you can do this manually with msgmerge like
this:

  msgmerge 14.pt.po 20.pot > 20.pt.po