Re: Translation memories (was Re: Gnome is off in Brazil)

   Hello again

>From: Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com>
>Subject: Translation memories (was Re: Gnome is off in Brazil)
>
>Duarte Loreto wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm interested in knowing how I can merge the pot files (using
> > msgmerge?). I would like to get my stable translations and use them to
> > update the gnome2.0 branch (and then tweak the updates, as some pot
>files
> > are slightly different).
>
>This is where a translation meory is handy. A translation memory is a
>collection of old translations that you can use for new translations. I
>myself use Karl Eichwalder's "Po-Toys"
>(http://www.suse.de/~ke/po-toys/).

   <zip>

>I believe something like this was what you wanted. It's easier than
>using msgmerge and friends manually.

Thank you for this info! I'll use it for future updates.

Anyway, I would also like to know how to merge 2 files. I'll explain why. I
have gnome-core from the stable1.4 branch. It is slightly different from the
gnome-core for the gnome2.0 branch.

I already translated the 1.4 pot. I would like to merge it with the 2.0 pot
so that I would only have to deal with the 2 or 3 different strings.

Actually, I have this done for gnome-core (the person that does my check ins
put the 1.4 in 2.0 by mistake). But for the other files, I would like to be
able to do the same.

I'll appreciate the info on this. Should I use msgmerge (any special
parameters needed?) or should I merge in another way?

Thank you all! :)

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"