Insight please - what is GDK/GTK doing to the messages.

Does GTK/GDK do anything before displaying the messages. Here is what I see.

I compiled the messages using msgfmt as usual. The messages are iso-8859-1
compliant encoded.

Then I set my local to ta_IN (I guess it is nolonger just ta). And the
messages I see make no sense. They seem to be a collection of characters but
no meaningful words.

Then as a test I compiled my messages into en_GB (which I assumed would also
be iso-8859-1 compliant) and then set my locale to en_GB. Now I see the
messages but many of the characters in the extended ASCII set (128 - 255)
are not displayed (about 12 of them).

I can only conclude that GDK or something is doing/analyzing the locale and
the encoding that locale expects and does something to the messages.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.