Re: gettext and utf-8 in Gnome 2

Kaixo!

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 06:35:14PM +0200, Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:

> > So, If we want that all users get the correct strings we MUST use
> > bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
> > We cannot set it's locale to LOCALE.UTF-8 (for example all gdm2 for
> > GNOME 1.4 versions will show wrong strings in GNOME 2.0 applications)
>
> So, as it turned out, every application and library, which manipulates
> or displays translated strings, must call this.
>
> I have done that change for all apps in gnome-games and gnome-core
> yesterday. Can I continue to do similar fixes for other modules?

Only for Gtk2.
If a given program/lib can be compiled both for Gtk2 and Gtk 1.4; then
that line must be made conditional.
Forcing utf-8 display with Gtk 1.4 will break for a lot of languages
(and no, using an utf-8 locale with Gtk 1.4 isn't very nice in most cases
(that is a font/XFree86 related problem in fact; btu users won't care where
the problem comes from, they don't like having text replaced with unreadable
blank squares...)

I don't know how much modules are in that case of being compilable with
either version of Gtk, but they should be identified and handled properly,
with the bind_textdomain_codeset line being used only when compiled for Gtk2.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975