Re: report on [bad] status of i18n of gnome apps - somebody should explicitly care about it

VH>  I think they just gave up any hopes... In a lot of cases authors/developers
VH> don't know how to fix the problem either since they don't have i18n-related
VH> experience.. In some cases developers answer "it's post-gtk-2.0 task"..
Yes. It's true.

VH>  OK, I can post a bugreport against every package that has i18n problems - but
VH> will it help anybody if mostly nobody cares about i18n?
As a rule -- "No".

VH> For example: evolution just sticks iso8859-1 charset in mail headers it sends
VH> (this means nobody can read mails sent with Evo if it contains anything than
VH> iso-8859-1), dia (user just can't load files at all (!) that were saved under
Good news about Evo!!! Happyness!!! Gods looks on us!
Now (0.9) Evo send mail from my system (LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R) with charset=iso8859-5.
YES!!!! iso8859-5 IS russian charset-encoding. But nobody use it on linux or freebsd.
It's standart forced for using by prop. unices (AIX, HP-UX, SunOS and so on).

VH> russian locale), sodipodi (it always assumes that locale uses iso8859-1),
VH> balsa - that's 4 software packages of 4 that meet my "i18n-fragile programs"
Balsa? If we advertise Sylphead as "The <<Bat>> for linux" then balsa will NEVER used in Russia.

Valek