Re: [Red-carpet] Re: red-carpet pos

Hi,

Just to clarify, the Red Carpet team definitely cares about translations.
I know it can be a thankless job, but it is an important step in usability
for many of our users and we lame Americans depend upon you guys to help
us with it. It is one of the strongest advantages of the free software,
open development model.

As for your first email, since you sent it to one of the other
maintainers, I never saw it, but it is not uncommon for email (especially
non-list email) to get lost in the mix of the thousand or so that come in
each day. No doubt you have read an email, thought to yourself "oh, I need
to deal with that, but I can't right now" and then forgot about it. Sorry,
but it happens occasionally.

However, with regards to your most recent email, it is only four days old,
and we haven't done a release since then. I assure you that the
translations will go into 0.9.3.

> > Generally normal for (pure) US-Companies (for now).
>
> Let's hope that's not true!

This is simply not true.

> > > Yes. In my experience, most people at Ximian in general are often
> > > uninterested in fixing i18n problems (there are some but they are few),
> > > and the Red Carpet maintainers are the most noteworthy.

Well, I can't speak for the other projects at Ximian, but I will make sure
I send a reply out when we get translation patches like this in the
future. It's not that they go unnoticed, it's just that I think we all
think that someone else will reply to it and it ends up going unanswered.

> > > They don't even
> > > answer any e-mails that have something to do with translations (noone I
> > > know of who have ever contacted RC people, either directly or through
> > > their mailing list, with an i18n question/patch/translation has ever
> > > recieved a response), and they seem to simply silently reject all
> > > patches that have something to do with i18n, since they never end up in
> > > the sources.

Of the translations that I've seen (swedish and russian), they have both
been sent in the last week, and no one (until Valek's post) let us know
about the translations in the gnome-i18n module. Those too will be
incorporated into the next release.

> I wouldn't care about it, 'coz last time I tried RedCarpet it almost
> screw up my debian system. There's still much work to do. For the
> meantime I will go on using apt-get which works well enough!

Please file reports in the bugzilla (bugzilla.ximian.com) if you haven't
already. We've fixed a lot of problems since 0.9.0, but we can't help you
without bug reports!

Joe