Re: obsolete entries in po files

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:37:48PM +0100, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 07:21:23PM +0100, Fatih Demir wrote:
> > Are the obsolete entries in po files meant to be kept?
> >
> > gtranslator has got now such an option but I'm asking myself if
> >  it's useful at all. Merging such po files takes more time etc.
> >   and these messages are useless.
>
> They are not always useless.
> That depends on the kind of string and the program/project being translated.
> For some strings (and some projects) chances are high that the string gets
> reintroduced, or a very similar one.

Hm, can msgmerge recognize the new "old" strings and uncomment the obsolete
 entries? Didn't try this yet though..

> Maybe a nice thing to have (but that would need to be done on gettext tools)
> would be a tag to tell the date when a string got obsoleted; then tools
> could have an option to delete those older than a given amount of time
> (user specified); that would avoid losing translations just because someone
> /* commented */ some lines temporarly to do some test then put them back,
> but the translators removed the #~ old lines, and then go on holiday and
> when they are back the new release hasn't some translations that the
> translator had done, then removed...
> Yes, that kind of things happen, I already saw it several times.

Hm, is the addition of extra data to the message comments depraciated? I would
 find it useful to add some fields to the messages if possible -- but only
  if this would be clean and Ok.
--
kabalak / kabalak@kabalak.net / Fatih Demir
`-GNOME / ICQ:64241161 / GSM: +491749787080