Re: obsolete entries in po files

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:35:34PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> Fatih Demir wrote:
> > Are the obsolete entries in po files meant to be kept?
> >
> > gtranslator has got now such an option but I'm asking myself if
> >  it's useful at all. Merging such po files takes more time etc.
> >   and these messages are useless.
> It depends on the module that is translated. If it is frequently updated
> and source added/removed frequently, keeping "obsolete" entries is
> useful.
> Making the translation software automatically remove all obsolete
> entries is IMHO a very bad thing to do. It should be left optional.

It's optional in gtranslator now. So, gtranslator does not do bad things..

> Nautilus is a good example. I often ended up updating the sv.po in
> nautilus several times a day because it also changed very often. Source
> files with translateable strings were added, removed, and changed all
> the time, making the messages change in a similar pace. Often source
> files were temporarily removed if it contained code that would break
> nautilus' build system, tinderbox, and only added again when the source
> was fixed.

Hm, the problem is for me, that gtranslator cannot do this merge/remerge of
 translations -- therefore it'd be easier if the obsolete messages could be
  removed at all -- but freedom of choice, there's a toggle button about it.

> Since then I've only removed "obsolete" messages from nautilus sv.po
> that I was absolutely, convincedly 200% sure they would not come back
> again and hunt me.

Hehue..

> So, keeping these "obsolete" entries is IMHO a good advise for highly
> dynamic projects/modules. They're also good for fuzzy matching in such
> modules. I only recently removed all obsolete entries from sv.po in the
> nautilus-1 branch since that branch is now basically frozen in stone;
> string changes are highly unlikely, and also build times were becoming a
> problem.

Good, but then the translator him/herself has got to do this manually..
--
kabalak / kabalak@kabalak.net / Fatih Demir
`-GNOME / ICQ:64241161 / GSM: +491749787080