Re: A simple script to manage GnomeGlossary.gnumeric

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Zbigniew Chyla wrote:

> On Mon, 2001-03-05 at 14:03:15, simos@pc96.ma.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > 	This glossary is available, afaik, only through CVS, from the
> > GNOME CVS repository. It is available in the GNOME Gnumeric spreadsheet
> > format, which means you need "gnumeric" to make use of it.
> > (...)
> >
> > If you are interested in a .po format version of the glossary, you may
> > use "glossary.pot".
>
> BTW, Why don't you guys just use "Save As..." in Gnumeric to save glossary
> in .po file instead of using complicated perl scripts? ;-)

Doh! *Was* there already such a thing?

> Try compiling CVS version of Gnumeric and activating "Gnome Glossary"
> plugin, it defines new output format: "Gnome Glossary PO file format".
> I've written this plugin just as an example of Python plugin so don't expect
> too much.

Ahh, ok. :) (Commenting on the issue that this plugin is new to gnumeric)

> Important notes:
> - You need Python headers to compile Gnumeric with Python support!
> - There's still no stable scripting API for Gnumeric so please DON'T report
>   errors in this plugin to gnumeric-list (send comments directly to me in
>   private e-mail).

I believe that once the "interface" is stabilised, the method of
production is of not very big importance to the glossary situation.
The glossary does not seem to change significantly and, currently, the
only thing that looks to be needed is a way to generate that .pot file.
This can be already generated.

In a previous e-mail, I suggested the following format for the .po file:

.po file format:
===============
a. Typical empty .pot header

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR.
#
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2001-02-22 23:47+0000\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL@li.org>\n"

b. Message record with one or two record lines.
First record line is the english description.
Second (optional) line is the local language description.
The "msgid" is the term in english.
In the "msgstr" is the translation of the term.

Unless anyone disagrees with the above format, then
I can see no reason why not start translating the glossary
found in CVS/:gnome-i18n/glossary/glossary.pot

Regards,
simos