Re: I ran an experiment with RedHat ... and ...

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:54:28PM -0500 or thereabouts, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> So I've been having a hard time getting the locales to get registered on the
> systems. I decided to conduct a little experiment. Here is what I did:

> o RH7.0 booted with the translation messages.
> o RH7.1 did not.
> o On both systems, when I ran "locale" on the terminal I got the correct
> locale for everything except LANG which kept getting reset to en_US.

Two questions:

By "terminal" do you mean the console (control-alt-Fsomething) or
within X?
After installing Ximian were you running gdm?

I believe gdm doesn't run several files including .Xresources and
a couple of others. Would this affect any of this?

I installed RH 5.2 and just kept upgrading. Which means that I actually
have no idea how you're supposed to change the default locale for the
system or for particular users, because in the upgrades, nothing seemed
to get installed that would do this.

So why I'm getting involved with this thread I dunno, except that I
do know gdm ignores a few files with settings people like in them.

Telsa