locale names

Hi,

I was trying to localize an application for Gnome. It is Scrollkeeper,
some of you may know it. It has a documentation database about installed
docs for separate for every locale. These databases are stored in
separate files and I use the locale id to locate them. I used symbolic
links from the full locales to the partial locales, like pt_PT links to
pt.

Scrollkeeper was localized for Swedish locale recently. We realized that
it cant find its database because (when I logged into Swedish of
course):

1. /etc/sysconfig/i18n contained en_US.
2. When I removed this, locale defaulted to sv_SE instead of sv.

Scrollkeeper is set up for some of the partial/full locales, but not for
sv_SE and sv, it knows only about sv, not about sv_SE. I am just on the
way of fixing this.

Would anybody know where the locale name comes from when
/etc/sysconfig/i18n is removed?

With the above described link approach whenever we discover a problem
like the sv/sv_SE one (missing locales), I have to add the new locale to
the Scrollkeeper package and create a new release. It would be good if I
could tdo his for all the missing locales in one go.

Please reply to me directly also as I am not on the list.

Thanks,

Laszlo