Re: gnumeric: Note to translators

Kaixo!

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:23:26PM +0100, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> But it's probably just as good and easier to just use the comments that
> work today
>
> /* Math */
> _("Mean")

The problem is when a string may appear in different context in the same
program, requiring different translations.

> To just put strings together like in gnumeric is just making it harder to
> translate.

I agree.
I experienced that with LyX (which uses (used?) the same philosophy);after
having a quite finished translation, in a further version of LyX the
translation was quite inexistent, simply because of very small changes
(like adding a menu entry --> all the enties of the menu became untranslated)

> Other things I've had problems with is programs that use the same string
> for menu labels as for toolbutton labels. If the english string is short
> it works for them, but if the translation is long then the toolbutton
> becomes big. If you translate to a abbrivation, then the toolbutton is
> nice but the menu is ugly.

Such cases must be made known, so the sources are changed to allow
distinguishing them.