Re: Character set formatics (iso family)

On 26 Dec 2001, Fatih Demir wrote:
> Now, since today, me, gtranslator and also most of our translators in
> GNOME generally put the character set line in the po file header for the
> iso family like this:
>
>     iso-8859-X
>
> Nilgün explained to me, that it would be more right to have this
> sentence written like:
>
>     ISO-8859-X
>
> Hm, what is right from the standards/gettext wodnerland of standards
> now?!

AFAIK, both forms are valid. The same iso character set can be written
both "iso-8859-X" and "ISO-8859-X". It is not case sensitive. Which form
is preferred is a matter of taste. In the Swedish team I think we've
agreed upon using the lowercase notation.

UTF-8 on the other hand has to be written "UTF-8" in uppercase.