Character set formatics (iso family)

Hm, after some confusion in my ehad due to some post to gnome-turk@gnome.org (it was Nilgün who made me think long about this now.. .-)) concerning iso[-]* style formatting of the character set, so I thought, ask the gnome-i18n@gnome.org list members for further enlightenment and/or help, advise, whatever coems to your mind .-)

Now, since today, me, gtranslator and also most of our translators in GNOME generally put the character set line in the po file header for the iso family like this:
iso-8859-X
Nilgün explained to me, that it would be more right to have this sentence written like:
ISO-8859-X
Hm, what is right from the standards/gettext wodnerland of standards now?! I got confused because if the currently most used form (iso-...) is wrong, msgfmt handles the po file per iso-8859-1 per default, so that mostly language specific data/characters won't go into the compiles gettext mo file...

I tried to examine this via trying to format many po files I could get, but all tries with msgfmt via:
msgfmt -cccc tr.po
.. resulted in no error/warning, so I'm asking myself, what's going on here now.. If it would be wrong, msgfmt would "babble" about it, right? Why doesn't it do so then? I'm using gettext 0.10.40 if this matters..

As you can see I'm a bit confused right now .-) Thanks for any answers and to be completely stupid: Merry Christmas to all Christians "post celebrations" if one could say that so..
--
<([ Fatih Demir / kabalak / kabalak@gtranslator.org ])>
<([ ICQ 64241161 / fdemir2@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de ])>

This is a digitally signed message part