Re: gettext-0.10.37 is released

Kaixo!

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:42:45PM +0800, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:

> > Note that Chinese/Japanese PO files in Big5, GBK or Shift_JIS encoding must
> > be modified when switching from 0.10.35 to 0.10.37. A command like
> >   "env OLD_PO_FILE_INPUT=yes msgmerge zh.po PACKAGE.pot -o zh.po.new"
> > will convert a PO file from 0.10.35 syntax (with extraneous backslashes)
> > to 0.10.37 syntax.

Shift_JIS is never used for po files.
For Big5 it is true that those '\' are sometimes a real pain (specially
when they are at the end of a string, that is ....\" ouch! the closing
quote is escaped!

My suggestion is to use utf-8 for traditionnal Chinese instead of big5;
then gettext will be able to convert to big5 if that is what the user
wants; but at least the problem of incorrect escape sequences on po files
is avoided.

I don't know about GKB, but utf-8 could be used too.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975