Re: what next ofter Translating PO files.

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, [iso-8859-1] Akkineni Rajesh wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I want to know what to do after translating PO files
> to get gnome in my language(Telugu). I dont know how
> to compile with my PO's .
>
> can any one help me.
> I have allready done 75% of translation of gnome-core.
> thanks,

I suspect you would like quick and dirty tricks so that you will
see messages in GNOME in Telugu.

To "compile" a .po file, you need to use "msgfmt".
Use like: msgfmt LL.po -o LL.mo

(what's the language code for Telugu? I assume LL)

Copy LL.mo to /usr/share/locale/LL/LC_MESSAGES/gnome-core.mo

Then,
	setenv LANGUAGE LL
	setenv LANG LL
	setenv LC_ALL LL

	and restart GNOME.

You (should) will see some of the messages in non-English.
If so, you are in good tracks. Then, in the control-panel
choose a font that supports Telugu correctly.
Clicking Apply should show the gnome-core message correctly in Telugu.

This is the procedure in a quick and dirty way.

simos