Re: Vietnamese for Linux

Kaixo!

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 08:40:57AM +0700, Cty Dien Tu CN - TT UD Tin Hoc 2 wrote:

> I want to use Vietnamese in gdm ( gdm greeter). Please tell me !
> I can't use Vietnamese fonts in the menu, popup.. in both gdm and system menu

You need a version of XFree86 with support of the tcvn-5712 encoding in
order to properly use the locales based selection of fonts
(you can take a version of XFree86 with such a patch applied from Mandrake
or Debian; I thought that XFree86 would have included it too but apparently
the patch has been lost somewhere).

Otherwise you will need to cheat (that is, name your X11 fonts otherwise
(eg: *-iso8859-1) and do a lot of very dirty and very ugly hacks, setting
font aliases, or replacing fonts, etc.

However, if you have a version of XFree86 (of libX11 in fact) with proper
support, and if you have the Vietnamese locale installed, then all you
need is set LANG=vi and it will work (well, you also need fonts of course).

If you have low bandwith tell me your version of XFree86 and glibc
and I'll try to send you a tarball with only the minimum files required.

> And I intend to localize all gnome enviroment into Vietnamese !

That would be very nice.

BTW, about Vietnamese there are two main encodings: tcvn-5712 and viscii-1.1
(well, and unicode). As tcvn-5712 is the official encoding in Vietnam
I suggest that for Vietnamese only a vi.po in TCVN-5712 be done; as the
viscii can very easily be created with:

iconv -f tcvn -t viscii < tcvnfile > visciifile

(I think latest glibc includes tcvn-5712 and viscii-1.1 tables; if yours
has not I can send them to you. About other Vietnamese encodings, they can
be included on glibc too; but does anyone really uses them ?)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975