Re: Terminology Databases

An, Rgp 29, 2000 at 05:47:14 -0700 Sean O Ceallaigh wrote:
> In re-organizing the Irish team, I'm looking for ideas on
> ways to maintain a terminology data base so that team
> members are consistent in their usage of Irish.  I am
> interested to find out how other language teams handle
> this issue.  I've considered:
>
> 1. Rely on frequent discussion on the language team's mailing list.
> 2. Create a website that I can update with new terms for all
>    team members to view.
> 3. Instead of a simple word list or dictionary create a user
>    searchable data base that can be hosted on a website.
>
> I believe #3 has been attempted by some language teams
> working on KDE.
>
> Any suggestions?

we are working towards #3 in gtranslator. There should be a daemon/library,
which could work over network, or be synced with some central location.
So, we try to make an app for translating po files, and tightly integrated
with database. So that you can partly automate translation process, and keep
teams terminology consistent.

The app is quite useful now (it will be when I get CVS write access :(), but
the database stuff is all done by Fatih Demir <kabalak@gmx.net>, and he's
still in vacations.

If you want help or provide some ideas, please look at gtranslator in gnome cvs.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas  -=-=-  http://i.am/menesis  -=-=-  ICQ 24859336