Re: Making it easier on translators
- From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>
- To: Karl Eichwalder <keichwa gmx net>
- Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>,Hector Garcia <hector scouts-es org>, gnome-hackers gnome org,gnome-i18n gnome org
- Subject: Re: Making it easier on translators
- Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 02:05:11 +0100
On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:15:42PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > We need something as good as the .po mechanisms.
> It is good, very good -- but not perfect. E. g., it fails to link
> button label texts and message texts talking about the buttons. The
> translator has to look up those relations manually. Actually, the
> original hacker/writer has to do the same.
> I don't want to start to talk about the documentation writers (and
I would not mind making something better than .po .
Messages in .po sometimes have a high granularity, such
as eg the function descriptions in gnumeric.
You may have to read thru 20 lines of detailed description
just to find out that they put a # before an ENUM value,
or removed it. A tool that could identify just the few words
characters changed would help.
This may even work on non .po files.
] [Thread Prev