Forced utf-8 conversion???

>From "cvs log sv.po" in gedit:

----------------------------
revision 1.65
date: 2000/12/26 17:28:36;  author: pablo;  state: Exp;  lines: +156 -156
Added Azeri file
Converted po and desktop files to UTF-8

What is this? I can understand the need of having to convert the .desktop
files, since there is a need of a lot of different character sets in
those, but why on earth forcing the change on .po files? Doesn't it make
more sense to let the individual translators of the .po files decide when a
conversion to utf-8 of "their" .po file will take place?

Right now, I'm suddenly *unable* to update the gedit sv.po file, because
pablo was so kind to change it to utf-8 for me, and I don't have an utf-8
editor on my system. Thanks.