Re: po files and charset field

Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

> - the charset identification you use must be a valid one; it is suggested to
>   use the same standard identifications as fro MIME (that is the same as
>   used for email, news, web pages, etc).
>   In particular, some po editing programs seem to use "ISO 8859-X", please
>   change that to "iso-8859-X" (case is not important, but the change of " "
>   to an "-" is very important).

Yup -- KBabel is one of the guilty programs ;) Matthias Kiefer promissed
to fix it (thanks!).

> PS: What would be the path for strings not in po nor in sgml nor in xml;
> namely the ones in *.desktop and *.directory with no charset information
> at all ?

And don't forget the hints files (yes, they are also in XML).

> Should they be made all utf-8 (I can take the task to convert all those
> files if needed),

I'd say yes.  But it's arguable whether author have to write them
directly with an UTF-8 editor or whether is better to build the final
.desktop etc. files on the fly from other encoded input files (XML
prefered).

prog.cs.desktop (ISO-8859-2) --> iconv --+
prog.de.desktop (ISO-8859-1) --> iconv --+
prog.es.desktop (ISO-8859-1) --> iconv --+---> prog.desktop (UTF-8)
prog.fr.desktop (ISO-8859-1) --> iconv --+
prog.ru.desktop (koi8-r) ------> iconv --+

> and for which release of Gnome should it be mandatory that they will
> be all in utf-8 (with conversion to the real charset asked by the user
> trough LC_CTYPE if needed).

2.0?  For systems lacking glibc 2.2 it might be necessary to provide a
configuration option to install encoded files with one of the
traditional encodings (of course, them will have to accept other
restrictions).

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,