GIO application integration with Nautilus

I've written a GTK+ application that uses the GIO API for file IO
operations and it works fine with Nautilus when opening files on a local
filesystem.  The problem I've run into is that after adding the app to
the list of apps to open a file type with (eg jpeg image files) it will
not allow me to open files (doesnt appear on the list of available
applications) in Nautilus in my remote filesystems (eg sftp virtually
mounted file system) and does nothing when I use "Open With Other
Application...".  I have no problems opening files via CLI (eg appname
sftp://user server com/dir/image.jpg).

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?  Is there any documentation
on how to add a GIO application to Nautilus for opening remote
filesystems?

I've asked the Nautilus mailing list but they dont know anything about
it.

--
Gravis <gnome-hackers adaptivetime com>