Changing GUI Element Size?

Hi list,

I am trying to develop some software on two machines: one a Windows XP
machine and one a Ubuntu 7.04 machine running GNOME. On my Linux
machine, I don't like the amount of padding that GNOME puts between the
text of a GUI element and its edge. For example, Eclipse's "problem"
list can barely fit 8 rows in a 400 pixel-high space, whereas in Windows
it can fit 10 in a 300 pixel-high space.

Are there any settings I can tweak to reduce the padding or otherwise
"tighten up" the GUI elements in GNOME?

Thanks!