Re: multimedia keys (and other keys) bof

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:19:41AM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:

> We have to deal with the case where the user has a "broken" laptop
> keyboard and a correct USB keyboard, or vice versa. This would be
> easier if everyone didn't multiplex keyboard input in X, but everyone
> does. OTOH, we could take advantage of multiplexing by having HAL create
> the illusion of an additional keyboard, and emit keypresses on that
> imaginary keyboard for X to process.

> Consensus seemed to be that this is what we wanted, except that then
> later on we remembered that this doesn't deal with the
> broken-laptop-keyboard-and-working-USB-keyboard or
> working-laptop-keyboard-and-broken-USB-keyboard cases. Someone
> suggested we should push all of the broken-keyboard-key-remapping down
> into the kernel.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Daniel Stone was working
on a project he was calling Respeclaration, which had some proof of
concept stuff for exposing things properly in HAL and interacting
with X.

See:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/daniels/respeclaration.git;a=blob;h=549f6f87f35e6d71e4c64d8f9bff7f7a2dda0377;hb=d280dff08943026261b55dda03f3fa6461d62c00;f=respeclaration.c

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA