Re: LSB summit in Boston

On Iau, 2006-05-18 at 22:04 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The "Linux Standards Base" is a plan to develop a specification for
> the GNU system.  Not, in this case, for the GNU/Linux combination,

No Richard, it is not. The Linux Standards Base produces specification
documents. The implementation of that document is a matter for the
developer and correctly defined that may be done by GNU or non-GNU
software.

LSB today includes non-Linux companies implementing Linux compatibility
for applications this way, and not all will use GNU code. The "Linux" in
LSB is today arguably wrong, but for different reasons to those you
assume.

> If we want to develop specs for the GNU system, let's organize it
> under the auspices of GNU.  I have good relations with some KDE
> developers.  We can set it up.

There are many things that could be done usefully this way. The LSB is
oriented to vendors and business and "non-viral" licenses. It provides
no mechanism to standardise interfaces built with or upon GPL libraries
for example. Much could be done productively I am sure.

Alan