Re: Proposals vs. Do It Now [Was: GNOME following a non-free standard]

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 02:59 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > We've been waiting for a shared vision about the future for several years
> > now, and it is taking us nowhere.
>
> That is not true. The shared vision for 2.x was a time based release cycle,
> GNOME as a product, and deep changes in our vision for FOSS usability. We
> have now reached the point where that vision has changed from a goal into an
> assumption, its pros and cons are embedded in our culture, and it is no
> longer a driving force. You're suggesting we adopt a zero-vision strategy of
> throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks [1]. This will not work.

I can't speak for Luis, of course, but I was under the impression he was
talking about more recently than that. The community accepted changes to
the way we thought about usability by GNOME 2.0, and we had an
established time based release cycle by GNOME 2.4-ish. After that we had
lots of ends to tidy up, sure, but people started thinking about "What's
next" early - and ideas were being bandied around at least 18 months
ago. So surely it's time to decide on where we want to go for the next
few years and get coding by now?

(From a practical standpoint, I think part of the Wiki have a pretty
good representation of the consensus last time I checked.)

--
Andrew