Re: Subversion Migration: the importance of maturity.

Subversion really is a joy to use and administer.  Now, admittedly my
efforts weren't anything like the scale of the GNOME project, but I
migrated my company's repositories from CVS to SVN not too long ago.
The cvs2svn script worked extremely well; the only problems that we
experienced really were caused by random cruft in our CVS repository
that shouldn't have been in there.  But using dumps and filters I was
able to remove that.

I did run into problems with the import being extraordinarily slow,
which were resolved by using the fsfs backend.  I also created a RAM
drive to temporarily store the repository so I could very quickly do a
dump/filter/restore cycle (these 2 changes got it from a few hours for
such a cycle to a few minutes).  I no longer have access to the
repository so I can't tell you how man kLoCs but I'd estimate perhaps
250,000.

Once I finally got the system migrated though, there were a lot of
benefits we immediately saw from using svn.  The branches are much
easier to use and understand than CVS, and retraining our engineering
department and customer service engineering department required only a
couple of hours before everyone was proficient enough to handle merging
changesets between branches.

We used https/WebDAV rather than ssh.  This allowed me to be able to
easily configure fine-grained access control, such as read-only access
to the repository for live servers, which vastly simplified our code
deployment procedures.

Now, of course everyone realizes that svn is better than cvs, and this
discussion is mostly centered around which of the next generation
systems to switch to.  In my experience, though, svn is powerful,
friendly, and solves most of CVS's problems.  Given that the GNOME
project is used to the "central repository" workflow, I think that svn
is a superb choice.

-Rob