Re: Bad directories in FTP

Jonathan Blandford wrote:

Mikael Hallendal <micke codefactory se> writes:

Hi!

A person just got into #gnome and asked for gnome-libs for GNOME 2, I
said he needed libgnome and libgnomeui. However he got confused since
there was libgnome2 and libgnomeui2 directories at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/

Are these the results of a naming error while uploading the tarballs?

Someone should remove those directories to avoid confusion.

[ long delay in replying ]

I'd prefer to see a THIS_MODULE_IS_DEAD file in the top of all dead
directories, rather than wholesale removal of the modules.
In the past, I don't think this was quite as much of an issue because we had the latest/ subdirectory where people could look for the latest versions of the packages for the desktop. Maybe it would be nice to have a directory that had the latest versions of modules targetted at 2.0.x, 2.2.x, 2.3.x, etc (of course, these directories would not represent an officially released set of modules).

This would probably require an extra switch to install-module to say which platform(s) the module is targetted at, and some decision on how it should fit into the ftp site layout.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/