Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:11:12PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:

> Something else interesting that popped up and might be interesting for
> live indexing/rememberance agents etc on the desktop. I'd stress it popped
> up as in "someone was having problems with it" and not as immediate base
> kernel stuff. I am however really curious if it solves this specific problem
> area for the desktop guys
>
> http://www.dazuko.org/
>
> The upcoming 2.6 NSA kernel bits should be sufficient to implement this kind
> of thing pluggable if its what is needed

That's kind of interesting - it seems to address file change
notification as well, doesn't it? i.e. you could have an "access
control agent" that just always allowed access, but recorded each
access and sent out notification.

And close/open notification is really far more useful than write
notification.

This could even be used for file locking, I suppose.

Seems like there might be some performance concerns with involving a
userspace daemon thingy in every open/close, though?

Havoc