Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:46:55AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> Some of the results on low memory boxes go back to the X server behaviour
> and whether you should always keep display buffers (moving a window tends
> to bring each app into RAM to scribble rectangles). Another is the amount
> of stuff Gnome seems to be doing during startup which does want measuring.
> On my boxes I'm seeing cpu idle, disk idle and completely idle
> patches.

Unless someone fixed it, with cvs HEAD gnome-session sits there for a
while waiting for one of the deprecated old WM hints to get set (which
metacity doesn't do anymore). ;-)

I have some instinct that fixing the "gnome-session sucks hard"
problem would help with startup time among other things.

Havoc