Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

> > Some work is being done there - its actually not very easy. Preloading
> > binaries on big machines is one approach
>
> 	Interesting; having had this as a pipe-dream of things to poke at in
> the kernel - is there a good place to read more (patches etc.) on that ?

User space issue - its a case of tweaking ld.so to load the entire file
when it maps it

> if so - that's perhaps a difference to the desktop, where aggressively
> pruning a big swathe from a single process whence it can be recovered in
> a similarly huge chunk may have better properties given our typical
> use-case ?

Desktop apps tend not to sleep entirely. The size stuff lets you change
the chunkiness

> 	Sure - this is good; the problem being that when I switch from galeon
> to evolution, and suddenly I need another 8000 pages exchanged to/from
> disk - they have been pushed out by slow attrition and are thus nicely
> scattered all over the disk :-)

Actually the code pages are pulled back from the file in /usr/bin. The
data may be scattered - entropy makes it hard to avoid that. You can use
procfs to check the size of chunk.

> idle patch must be Network related - I recently fixed a particularly
> stupid redundant hostname reverse-lookup in bonobo-activation; I've just
> pushed a fixed stable package:
> http://www.gnome.org/~michael/bonobo-activation-2.2.3.tar.gz until
> ftp.gnome.org updates - that fixes that silly; could that be the cause ?

Could easily be a second on some systems.

I've not had time to try and break this down much