Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

El mié, 09-07-2003 a las 22:43, Seth Nickell escribió:

[...]

>     2) User Extensible Metadata in ext3!!! It seems like this is on the
> verge of happening (maybe it already happened?), perhaps we could give
> it an extra push.

The actual kernel 2.5 has ACLs implemented so there is already the
Extensible metadata extension because they use it for ACLs :-)

[...]

>     1) A revised permissions system that allows processes to acquire
> multiple permission "tokens" ala the HURD..... so that they can run with
> multiple user's permissions. This would allow things like the mouse
> preference page to run as the normal user, but if you changed one of the
> settings that requires root, we could prompt you for the root password,
> pick up root permissions, do the work, then drop the token. Or, in
> Nautilus, if you try to copy a file you don't have permission for we
> could let you authenticate as root or the owner of the file, do the
> work, and then drop the permissions. I imagine the usefulness of this is
> not restricted to desktop apps but could be used so that, e.g., moddav
> could run as nobody, but when you log in to it, authenticate as you so
> that you can access your homedir through WebDAV (oops, guess that was
> another desktop application... :-)

Perhaps it's already there as a standard that Linux && BSD implement
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/old/doc/linux-privs.html/linux-privs.html

I'm not sure the level of implementation for that standard because it
seems to be dead :-?

[...]

Cheers.
--