Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 01:43:08PM -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
>     1) An init system that didn't suck and ran things in parallel where
> possible. Because desktop machines get turned off at night, which means
> they get turned on in the morning, which means that boot time matters.
> It would also be nice if X were loaded as soon as humanly possible and
> the desktop was able to monitor the startup sequence and provide pretty
> progress icons, but still allow people to log in even while the system
> is loading.

Total tangent, but we tried the parallel thing and it didn't help.

It turns out that a large part of the speed hit is simply paging crap
off the disk. :-/ Having everything in shell with lots of fork() may
be part of the rest, but don't really know.

I guess parallel could help UI-wise if we could fire up gdm before all
the other services had started, even if it doesn't speed things up.

Havoc