Re: Desktop-Wide Data Model Objects

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 22:51, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> First, I apologise for spewing forth codeless crackrock ideas. They're here
> if you care for them, I'm not going to harp on it. I've attempted to avoid
> musing on the specific technology issues for your convenience. :-)

Codeless is good. Starting with "how the computer should interact with
the user" rather than "how the code should work" seems sensible.

Putting what Jeff said a different way:

* If I add a person's address, all the programs that use addresses
should know about it.

* If I open a file, all the apps that know how to do something with that
kind of file should show it in their "recently opened files" bit.

* If I bookmark a place, it should show up in the bookmark lists of all
the apps that know how to access that sort of a place.

In others words, I like the underlying user action principle Jeff is
pointing us at here, and I think it would be most useful to talk about
it first in terms of how we want to enable the user should interact with
the information, and only then about the underlying technical
implementation.

Cheers,
John

--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead