Re: glade code generation

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 14:36, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 11:51, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > > 	But why don't you think it would be a good idea ... ?
> >
> > Removing code generation would regress some projects ...
>
> 	Your outline sounds good to me Bill - the problem being it requires
> more than the minimal effort, there being a paucity of glade maintainer
> wanabees - and a seemingly inexhaustible supply of new/exciting projects
> for people to work on instead.
>
> 	Since I too have all to recently helped people stuffed by the code
> generation; an easy compromise may be to add a large, and irritating
> warning dialog on the code generation button - saying "Don't use this" -
> at least for now ?

I am having a look to see just how big a change this really requires.

My current (naive) understanding of how to "fix" code generation is
this:

(1) replace the current main() with a slightly modified one that calls
libglade;

(2) suppress generation of interface.c;
(3) glance at callbacks.c to make sure it's good coding style and
    compatible with libglade handlers (I think it is).
(4) adjust the rest of the PROJECT stuff to remove interface.c and
    include the libglade dependency.

It may be that #1 is a very small task, #2 is trivial, and #3 is mostly
OK as-is.  #4, although perhaps not totally trivial, looks like
bookkeeping.

So, jamesh or others, what have I forgotten ? :-)

I will post an initial patch (probably not a working one, sorry ;-) if
it really seems as easy as this - provided folks agree with Michael that
this is basically a sound idea.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>