Re: Session Management Proposal

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:19:14PM -0800, George wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 02:46:35PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > another thing i'm wondering about is "Suspend" mode. considerations:
> > - like reboot/halt it might need authorization - after all it makes the
> >   box unresponsive to network activity (apart from WOL, etc.)
> > - but it doesn't need to end the session
>
> Suspend is kind of icky.  I doubt this needs to be done at the session
> manager level at all.  There is no session management stuff that happens at
> suspend really.

yup, that's why i'm asking. :)

> So I think with something like consolehelper this problem is
> already solved.

if you'd explain what consolehelper does exactly ... :}

> > the next point is communicating the system shutdown request to the
> > desktop manager, as that's the place it belongs to. currently kdm has a
> > one-way command fifo and gdm has some fancy command socket. i'd like to
> > replace that with something common, possibly based on d-bus - dunno.
>
> A common thing would be nice, but really so far there are 2 different
> implementations GDM (only in the CVS version though) and KDM and so I don't
> think it's a huge issue anyway - just implement both so far.  GDM allows
> querying which actions are available and that's really the only thing where
> it differs from KDM.  That's the only difference.

well, two protocols are one too much, as far as "standard" is concerned,
no? ;)
what kdm currently does is clearly insufficient for the features i'm
planning, so i have to come up with something better anyway. i'm not sure
whether i will just use/extend the gdm socket protocol; i'll have to
investigate that (but you can expect some significant changes, if :).

i'll try to write some half-assed spec for the dm-related part of all
this, but if i'll be as fast as last time ... :}

greetings