Re: GnomeURIEntry

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:04, Ricardo Fernández Pascual wrote:

I think consistency is good here (between Mozilla, galeon, Evolution,
OpenOffice.org, GNOME, etc.), provided we preserve the ability to
keyboard navigate consistently as well.

> > Scott Berkun explains all here:
> >
> > http://www.listserv.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?A2=ind0011B&L=chi-web&P=R8687
> >

> I mostly agree with that post. That is currently the behavior that I use
> in galeon, more or less.
>
> To test it in galeon2, use (this is my setup, and these options are not
> in the UI):
>
> gconftool-2 -s /apps/galeon/Browsing/History/completion_enabled -t bool false
> gconftool-2 -s /apps/galeon/Browsing/History/completion_show_list_auto -t bool true
>
> The default is having both options to true.
>
> Would be ok for accessibility if TAB autocompleted and/or focused the
> list of alternatives when it is present, like the post says?

My opinion is still that this would be a bad idea, since it would make
tab-traversing the UI much more awkward, by requiring (at best)
control-Tab to "get out" of a tab completion entry field.  The arrow-key
completion seems better, since arrow-key navigation is not "guaranteed"
by our keynav spec, it is a convenience feature, whereas TAB is the
"primary" keynav mechanism for moving focus, just as spacebar is the
main mechanism for activating UI elements.

regards,

-Bill