Re: GnomeURIEntry

El mié, 25-09-2002 a las 15:29, Calum Benson escribió:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 13:21, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 12:59, Ricardo Fernández Pascual wrote:
> >
> > Basically, use of TAB in any combination for completion will conflict
> > with the use of TAB elsewhere.  That wasn't a problem for bash of
> > course, since bash predates the use of GUIs, etc.
> >
> > "Enter" is probably confusing also.  CSH uses "Esc" but that also seems
> > at odds with other uses of Esc on the GNOME desktop.
> >
> > Calum, what do you suggest?
>
> For URIs, my personal preference is for something like the filename
> completion in the OpenOffice file dialog or the Nautilus location bar--
> i.e. you don't have to press any key at all to initiate the completion,
> suggestions are made automatically as you type.  If there are multiple
> matches at any one time, they could appear in a dropdown list, or you
> could just not display any matches until you're down to the only
> possible match (but that's not really as helpful).  When the correct
> match has been predicted, you hit enter to accept it, or right-arrow to
> move the cursor to the end of the field to continue typing.  Tab doesn't
> come into it :)

I personally hate when text that I have not typed appears in the entry,
and I have this disabled in galeon (I use only tab completion, or select
items from the alternatives list that always appears). I know I'm not
the only one ;-)

However, the current  default in galeon is to have this enabled, like
nautilus.

> Having said that, here's what Microsoft found when they did a usability
> study of the address completion they use in IE.  IE4 used the model I
> just described, but as a result of testing they tweaked it in IE5 so
> that matches are displayed in the dropdown list as you type, but matches
> never actually appear in the text field unless you explicitly select
> one.  Scott Berkun explains all here:
>
> http://www.listserv.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?A2=ind0011B&L=chi-web&P=R8687

I mostly agree with that post. That is currently the behavior that I use
in galeon, more or less.

To test it in galeon2, use (this is my setup, and these options are not
in the UI):

gconftool-2 -s /apps/galeon/Browsing/History/completion_enabled -t bool false
gconftool-2 -s /apps/galeon/Browsing/History/completion_show_list_auto -t bool true

The default is having both options to true.

Would be ok for accessibility if TAB autocompleted and/or focused the
list of alternatives when it is present, like the post says?

--
Ricardo Fernández Pascual
ric users sourceforge net