Re: 2.2 and 2.4 features?

+++ Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:34:19AM -0400 +++
Alexander Larsson e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > > Pango is already the abstraction layer, there's no need to put another
> > > one on top.
> >
> > Our accessibility implementation also depends on pango to a considerable
> > degree.
>
> We could then have an abstraction layer over the accessibility layer if
> you want to us a different one.
>
> And then an abstraction layer over the whole toolkit, in case someone
> wants to use another toolkit.

Well, the peculiar thing with abstraction layers is, that, when you
stack enough layers on top of each other, you get to a point where it
doesn't make sense to add more.

If infinite abstraction made sense, we should have exactly one API
consisting of a single function:

void gnome_do_what_i_mean(void);

...and the implementation would be up to a plugin.

SCNR,

mawa
--
Ausgerottet ist die Pest,
das macht doch nichts, es gibt doch West.