Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

"Dan M." <daniel_b_mann hotmail com> writes:

> I know this is probably a bit off topic, but what about a program that
> can convert an mp3 to another format like ogg?  And another app for
> proprietary video? Could those be included in the Gnome dist.?

To convert an mp3, you must first decode it.  This is also no good.

> If I write software that can do translation, like Wine, that could
> "interpret" an mp3, even though I have never seen the code used to
> produce the mp3, am I breaking the law in the US or EU?

It doesn't matter if you've ever seen any code implementing the
algorithm -- the codec is patented.

> I guess I am naive...I don't understand how something as broad as an
> idea can be protected...maybe an implementation, but an idea?
> Wouldn't a car engine be similar?  They all run off the same idea, but
> they use a different implementation.

All kinds of things can be patented nowadays.  And if you think it is
rough in the computer world, you should look at the current state of the
Biotech industry.  There was a good, mainstream article a couple months
ago in Forbes that partially discusses this:

  http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html

Google can find you plenty more.

> The more I think about it the more it sucks.

Exactly.  Write to your congressman[1].  Donate to the EFF.  Things
aren't going to get better otherwise.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

[1] If you're a US citizen not residing in DC.  Otherwise, bring it up
    with your local elected official if you have one...