Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 15:31, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 10:12, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > pie-in-the-sky ideas, but they are not reasonable :) Note also that it's
> > > not just not US shippable; most likely much of it will not be shippable
> > > in much of Europe soon as well, as a result of the pending
> > > implementations of the EU Copyright Directive, which prohibits
> > > circumvention devices.
> >
> > Thats a different set of pieces (CSS). The US side of it means we probably
> > cannot ship mpeg video, mpeg audio, mp3 audio, windows audio, or ac56.
>
> I'll worry about those when there is a prosecution or legal claim made
> against any of them. I'm not yet aware of any.[3]
>
> More generally, though, and completely tegardless of the exact set of
> pieces not available, the legal codec issue is a problem that at some
> point GNOME[1] must deal with- if we're ever going to compete with XP
> and OS/X instead of win95 and OS9, we[2]'re going to need mp3, dvd, wma,
> etc. support. Which means either figuring out a debian-style tiered
> mirror system, or biting the bullet and fighting it legally. This may
> not be something we're capable of tackling in a 2.2 timeframe, which
> /might/ be a reason to punt xine and totem from Desktop for now. But
> that's clearly something we need to discuss.

Punt as much as you want. GStreamer binaries will have the same issues.

 <sarcasm> Oh, man, that will be so great to distribute gst-plugins and
not be able to get the libraries to make it actually work </sarcasm>

Need to call in the lawyers.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera