Re: GEP 3 - Remote activation in bonobo-activation

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 15:05, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Really? I didn't actually know that. All the systems I've come across in
> > the wild seem to have this running, and AFAIK all major distros enable
> > one of these two services. But it does make sense that this would go
> > quickly when trying to lock a box down for security.
>
> Look harder. Red Hat ships with the services it does enable configured not
> to talk to remote hosts. The default high and medium firewall settings
> block incoming connections to server ports.

Right, but they still have xinetd/inetd. If its blocking ports it
doesn't really matter a lick whether we use inetd or not! This is all
orthogonal to the choice to use inetd AFAICT. But I am out of my domain
of knowledge so I'll shut my trap :-)

-seth