Re: Queries about release specifications [Was: who gets in and why]

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 09:47, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 29Aug2002 10:01PM (+1000), Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I think that open planning stuff went by the wayside as we leapt onto
> > the bucking bronco that was GNOME 2. Not entirely sure whether the full GEP
> > process is required to bring in more community scrutiny on this stuff, but
> > it's certainly something that the release team needs to facilitate.
> >

> One big difference between apps and platform libraries is that it's a
> lot easier to drop an app from a future release if it turns out to
> suck than to drop a platform library, given GNOME's compatibility
> guarantees.
>
> So while it's better to have a more open decision-making process,
> using something like the GEP seems like overkill.

yes. IMO its worth remembering that while it has its places, decision by
comittee has some real costs too (not the least of which is the time of
those involved, but also decisions by comittee have a bad reputation in
producing undesirable compromises).

-Seth